Monday, May 10, 2010

I finally cast my vote

We went to the polling precint at around 8:30 in the morning, hoping to cast our vote early. But we were surprised by the long line of people waiting for their turn to cast their vote. We chat with everyone so as not to notice the slow passing of time. After 6 hours, we  finally had our turn to vote. There are some things that I noticed in the voting process. I will share this to the world to ask for insights and I am looking forward that my simple start of review will reach the persons that can do something for process improvement. Please note that this is my observation, I have no intention of dishonoring my fellow Filipinos however, may this be a challenge for us to stand corrected and be better next time.

1. The process in handling the registration is not efficient. we registered in the polling precint and took us time to register and handed the ballot. What we  saw is that, we could have had the registration in advance while we were in the queue and when we entered the precint it will just be handling of ballots.

2. The use of marker is not a good choice. The blotting of the marker is uncontrollable, it is easier to shade using a pencil than to use marker. I was worried at first that my ballot would be rejected.

3. The process flow in voting is not efficient. There is so much idle time in waiting for your chance to vote. the bottleneck is in the registration. We thought that it would be better if the bottleneck will be in the PICOS not in the registration.

4. Having experienced 6 hours of lining up, I can say that the time to serve all the voters until 7 pm is not enough.

5. The planning that was done is not enough. It is a known fact, I hope that we learned our lessons this election. An improvement should be noticed in the next Barangay Election.

My observation is not the end, it should be the start of thinking how things will be better. You may share your thought and maybe we can come up with a solution and put it into action.

For a First world Philippines!

No comments: